Day 17

6/13/2013

After three fill coats of epoxy, the fiberglass cloth weave had completely disappeared.  However where the bow and stern glass was overlapped there is still a noticeable line that needs to be addressed.  

I used 180 grit sandpaper to sand down the ridge of the overlap at both ends, but unfortunately I sanded right down to the bare wood through the fiberglass at the bow end.  Oops...

All I could do in this instance is to cut a patch out of the excess glass cloth and plastered that into place.  Not sure if this is the right thing to do, but don't see much of a choice.  Here a picture of the patch in place.

Once the patch hardens, it will need to be filled out and then eventually sanded smooth.

At the stern I was more careful with the sandpaper, so after sanding and applying an additional thin coat of of epoxy the seam is completely invisible.

Later in the day, I went ahead and sanded the edges of the bow patch to make feathering it in easier.

After an additional coat of epoxy it had almost completely vanished.  That area will eventually be covered with epoxy and graphite so it will be completely invisible.
Comments